I just finished a knitted hat last night. I think I actually managed to follow the pattern and I only see one spot where I think I purled one too many stitches. The only problem is that apparently my family all have big heads. I was going to give the hat to my husband but it didn’t fit. It is okay on me but not great. So, my five-year-old gets it as it actually fits him.
So the pattern. It was the Wharf Cap by Courtney Kelley in the Interweave Knits Winter 2014 magazine. The pattern was nice and easy to read for my beginner self. The other thing I liked was that it knit quickly. I think it only took me about four days. I’m sure if I were a faster knitter it would have been less time. And last but not least it showed me that cables can be pretty easy. I might actually dare take-on another pattern that has cables now.
Part of why I’m knitting this stuff is that I am trying to get a good feel for what to use my hand spun yarn for. I want to become familiar enough with a pattern that I can actually take some of my stuff and knit something up using my yarn. For now while I work the patterns to see if I can follow them I am using some Wool-Ease that I got from my dad when he died. He had just ordered a bunch right before he died so I have a pretty decent stash of the stuff. I’m finding that I tend to split it though. More splits with aluminum needles than bamboo but I’ve noticed I don’t seem to split the hand spun yarn as much. I wonder why?
I am going to jump topics a little bit here.
With the approaching Spring I have been trying to come up with a decent year plan for my marketing etc. So many ideas are floating around in my head. Now to just get the capital to implement them. Isn’t that always the issue?
My tentative plan is as follows:
Make spinning classes available on a regular basis.
Make at least two skeins of yarn per week. I really need to up my production.
Make up packs of wooly balls into sets at a set price.
Make the bath salts in a variety of sizes.
Add herbs to the booth. I’ll start with the herbs I already have and expand as I go. To start with that will be parsley, cilantro, lemon-thyme, basil, chives, and maybe some sage and lemon balm. By the end of summer I’m hoping to add mints, dill, and lovage for sure and maybe some others.
Get my brochures printed in color.
Get my logo design down and onto my marketing materials.
I may also end up re-designing my booth a bit to allow for market information as I am pretty sure I will be taking over the market manager position. It is looking to be a busy season. I sure hope so anyway.